Sunday, January 19, 2020

Realizing Hope: Patient Transformations (Day 16)


The falling flakes of snow, a fury of beautiful wonderment. Its mesmerizing cacophony the unmatched medium fit only for a canvas laden with irrepricable possibility. The world closes its eyes to the masterpiece finding rest outside our windows. When we wake, the world suddenly seems brighter as the snow lay heavy on the still earth - blanketing everything that was brave enough to kiss the open air in the purest of white. The beautiful canvas illuminated by the sun just strewn before our eyes, waiting for us to sculpt and paint our own possibilities within it. The expanse of glistening bright snow begging each of us to leave our unique signature within its crisp stark beauty. Within that snow we can build and imagine so very much, but what we don’t see is what lies beneath that blanket of snow and the beautiful transformation taking place before the unseen eye. One in which takes great patience.


What we don’t see today is that in many months when the sun warms the earth and that once crisp white canvas begins to disappear, the most beautiful green life will emerge from that once quieted and cold earth. True transformation and possibility lives within patience. It’s easy to forget that. Even the building of a beautiful white clean canvas takes time, trust, and the courage to not only see, but live in the quiet beauty of its transformation. But, the beauty of true transformation is lost if we merely expect to see it happen before our very eyes instead of where the most significant transformation happens - within us. It’s the place which takes true patience and trust. It also takes the most courage.

Comparing Journeys
I have now had the incredible life-giving opportunity called Trikafta a part of my life for a full two weeks. These last few weeks have been filled with a myriad of diverse emotions, great anticipation, and most of all, a multitude of hope. These weeks represent a tremendous gift, and I hope are only the beginning of a life I never truly thought possible. These two weeks, however, have reminded me that my own Trikafta experience may be one reflected in a transformation born of patience and longevity, not seen or experienced within hours and mere days like many others have experienced with cystic fibrosis and their journey with Trikafta. Had I hoped that within hours and days I’d feel air pouring into my lungs unlike anything I had ever imagined? Had I hoped never again to wake during the night coughing uncontrollably? Had I hoped that my body would suddenly have the energy to keep up with my mind? Yes, but that’s not my current truth. And, just because those hopes haven’t been realized in the ways in which I had silently dreamed or read about in others' reflections, doesn’t mean my canvas hasn’t been transformed in its own unique and beautiful way in just these two weeks. This Trikafta journey and its transformation is unique to each of us. It’s a beautiful canvas we get to paint our hope-filled lives upon, realized and reflected within the hearts and minds of each of us in its due time. 

Patience is Possibility
When I looked out my window this morning I could have been crushed by winter’s cold suffocating presence. But, I chose to see the beauty it left upon my window as the sun illuminated every beautiful crystal of snow into a brilliant display of winter’s unmatchable beauty. I chose to see the beauty that lies within an awaiting transformation, for this snowfall will make those first signs of spring and its breathtaking beauty all the sweeter. I am grateful to see the beauty in today's transformations while living in the possibility of hope-filled patience. Love to you all. 

1 comment:

  1. A well said comparison of the beauty that can be seen & daily patience with our struggles.

    ReplyDelete