Friday, April 25, 2014

65 Roses

Can you recall that feeling when someone says something to you, but you don't understand a word they said?  Or, when you stare intently for several minutes at a word you have no idea how to pronounce, hoping that the phonetics and meaning of it will just come to you?

My classic look during these occasions is what I like to call the "deer in headlights:" bright eyes swimming in perplexity.  I have this look mastered.

I am often met with the same look if Cystic Fibrosis is brought up in a new conversation.  Personally, if I were on the other end of the conversation, that would be a perfect moment for me to deploy my "deer in headlights" look.  



Cysti---what? 
In 1965, after learning her three boys had CF, Mary Weiss became a devoted volunteer for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.   Her task was to call on civil, social, and service groups to seek financial support for CF research.  Her four year old son, Richard, had been listening closely to each phone call from the other room.  After his mother was finished with a phone call, Richard came in and said to her, "I know what you are working for." Mary was shocked.  Richard had no idea what she was doing nor did he even know that he had CF.  Mary replied, "And what is it I am working for, Richard?"  His reply? "You are working for 65 roses." With tears streaming down her face Mary spoke, "Yes Richard, I am working for 65 roses."

Since 1965, "65 Roses" has been used to represent Cystic Fibrosis and has become the symbol for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.  Doesn't "65 Roses" just sound beautiful? An endless assortment of blooms that is each uniquely exquisite?  

Live with Beauty
I am choosing to see the beauty in Cystic Fibrosis, or "65 Roses." I will always choose to find the beauty in everything.  There is beauty in each of my relationships, conversations, experiences, times of trial, mornings, but most of all,  there is beauty in each breath I take.  Love to you all.


Buy yourself some roses today, and tell someone the story of"65 Roses." 





No comments:

Post a Comment