Friday, April 11, 2014

The Cover of Your Book

We have all heard the age old saying, "Don't judge a book by its cover."  The cover of the book never tells the entire story or what beautiful adventure lies within its binding.


What lies beneath the cover of my book?

What's hidden beneath my "cover."

My pages are illustrated by the scars of past PICC lines . Since last year, It seems I have had a PICC line more often than not.  To be more exact, roughly 28 out of 65 weeks, or 2OO days out of the last 465.  My arms look like a children's connect-the-dot picture.


What is a PICC line?
A peripherally inserted central catheter [PICC or PIC line] is a type of intravenous access that can be used for a prolonged period of time to deliver IV antibiotics.  In terms that are more understandable, it's an IV that can stay in long term.


Intermate.



I usually have a PICC line for 4 to 6 weeks or so at a time and do a regimen of different antibiotics, either continuously or every 8 hours.  Antibiotics come pre-measured in a small pressurized bottle called an intermate. I slip the intermates in my shirt and no one knows or can even see it.  When I am on continuous IV therapy I wear my "European satchel"all the time [a.k.a. my cross body bag/purse, but "European satchel" sounds more exciting].  Some of my favorite questions I hear when I have to wear it are:  "Do you know you're still wearing your purse?" "Do you have a weird attachment to your bag?"  They always make me smile.


Last PICC line - I bruise like peach.


During the last couple of PICC lines my Team has discussed putting in a more longterm IV option: a port.  For someone with CF, a port is discussed as an option because of the frequency of PICC lines and need for antibiotics, and running out of viable veins to keep using for PICC lines.  A port would be inserted beneath the skin in my arm near my elbow.  This connects a vein to a catheter through which antibiotics can be administered.  


 My PICC line is always hidden beneath a
 sock on my arm 

and under my clothes so no one will know.


My Team 
The wonderful people at Home Health and my CF team make it possible for me to do home IV therapy. Don't let me forget about the wonderful 2 nurses who always put my PICC lines in: I so appreciate their warm sure hands.  I am so thankful that my Team supports me and the full life I want to live: I couldn't do any of this without them.  


There are so many pages to be written in the book that is my life, and CF is not going to limit the beautiful content that is written within its pages: PICC line scars and all.  
Love to you all.



What do your pages say beneath the cover of your book?


No comments:

Post a Comment