Friday, May 23, 2014

Priceless

How far would you be willing to go for a chance at one more breath?  To ensure you had one more chance at sharing laughter, tears, and making beautiful memories?  Would you spare no expense if it meant staying alive?

I am so truly privileged to have good health insurance and for the specialty CF programs that allow me to get the medications needed to fight CF and grant me every extra beautiful breath.  I am so grateful for my CF team that ensures I have the capability and access to what I need to fight CF: they spend countless hours dealing with my insurance company, enrolling me in or finding out information about specialty programs, and managing and adjusting my prescriptions.   But CF still comes at a high cost.  I am so very lucky to have Mark who never questions the financial burden of CF, but sees every therapy and treatment as another day together. 

By February 1st I have usually reached my insurance's deductible and out of pocket max from prescription drug costs and doctor visits.  Every January I know instead of booking a nice European vacation, I will be buying a chance at one more breath.  

The cost of 3O days to fight CF [prescription drug & therapy costs]
      Cayston.......................$6,786
      TOBI...........................$8,O12
      Pulmozyme..................$2,843
      HyperSal......................$62
      Prednisone....................$2O
      Amicar.........................$85O
      Voriconazole................$7,O15
      Mephyton.....................$349
      Pantoprazole.................$55
      Albuterol.......................$5O
      ProAir...........................$15O
      Azithromycin................$186
      Atenelol.........................$1O
      Cipro.............................$3O
      Bactrim..........................$15
      Enzymes........................$3,2OO
      Mucinex D.....................$4O
      Zantac............................$25
      Vitamin D......................$15
      CF Vitamin....................$15
      Dulera............................$25O
*This does not include the cost of IV therapy or hospital visits/ stays

Kalydeco, a new and promising therapy that corrects the underlying cause of CF costs $3O,OOO for a 3O day supply. [This medication is only effective on 4% of people with a certain CF mutation]  What would you be willing to pay to cure CF, to never worry about CF stealing another day?

 Cost of equipment and other therapies
      VEST.............................$15,OOO-$2O,OOO
      Nebulizer........................$15O
      Acupuncture...................$65/time
      Neilmed...........................$15

Travels costs for doctors appointments in Minneapolis & Sioux Falls per year.
      Hotel, Gas, Food............$2,OOO

This is my life, and I will do everything I can for one more beautiful breath.  I am so thankful for my CF team, Mark, and my family who have always done everything possible to ensure I have access to the best medical care and therapies: I owe every breath to you. The cost of living with CF? Roughly $3O,OOO a month for just prescriptions.  The chance at living? Priceless.  Love to you all.  

What are you willing to pay to live another day?




      
      


No comments:

Post a Comment