Friday, May 16, 2014

The Bull Fight

Transport yourself for a moment to someplace in Spain.
Madrid, Spain
You are attending one of Spain's iconic and magnificent Bull fights.  You find a good seat and wait for the Bull fight to begin.  There may be thousands of people in that arena, but there's only a single person fighting the bull.  All of the matador's experiences, training, and support from people he holds dear, has impacted him to be who he is in that very moment.  The matador has a mountain of support, encouragement, and cheers swirling about him, but he is the only one who can lead the fight.  Although he may be alone in the ring, even if he falls, stumbles, or wants to give up, there is a sea of people ready to help him stand and fight.





Impact
Take a moment and think about the amazing people who have influenced your life and the people that impact your every day: from your best friend to the cashier at the grocery store.  Has their relationship helped you through some tough times?  What sticks in your memory from years ago, or even today? Think of those people who have stuck with you through it all, those people who lifted you up when you thought you couldn't stand, or what about even that friendly smile from a stranger that somehow made your day more beautiful?  They all have shaped your life to make you who you are at this very given moment, but only you are in control of what you do with that knowledge, passion, and appreciation for life.

learning how to fight in Spain
The Battles of Life
Each of our lives contains some struggle or a battle we must fight: whether it be beneath the surface or unfolding before the world.  The battles we are facing may be different, but we are each bound together by the fight.  What have I learned through each struggle with CF?  I have learned while no one can fight the battle for me, I am not alone in the fight.  It is honestly one of the most incredible feelings to look at my life and see the amazing people who have impacted it so greatly, or that are still a huge influence today: friends, family, my CF team, teachers, mentors, or the check out woman who genuinely smiled at me.


Always Ready to Fight
Even though there are so many amazing people standing next to me, ready to fight, I know first and foremost I have to be the one to lead .  No one can do it for me.  I am the only one in control of my life and making sure to see the beauty in each breath.  You each have given me love, strength, and motivation to fight.  You each have so selflessly given all you can to me and I am so truly grateful.  At times I wonder who is in control, CF or me?  I am the only one who can decide if CF will define my life, and I have promised myself it never will.  CF will not win the battle.  I am strong, I am fiercely motivated, and I am taking in life one brave breath at a time. 



Think of the power you hold in shaping some one's life, even if it is something as simple as a genuine smile.  Your kindness may give them what they need to fight a battle: seen or unseen. You each are fighting your own battles, and I am with you every step of the way.  I only hope that I have given you the love, support, and confidence in yourself to know that you can fight.  I will be there to help you stand, when all you think you can do is fall.   Thank you to each of you for fighting this battle with me; you have shaped my life more than you will ever know.  Love to you all. 


No one can fight the battle for you, but they will fight with you.  Are you ready to fight?

No comments:

Post a Comment