Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Day 50 - Breathe Bravely Challenge

Finding the beauty in every breath.

Each of our days begins and ends the same: with the sun rising in the east and setting in the west. It's what we do with those days we are given that writes our own unique journey and makes us who we are. 

Over a year ago I set out upon a new journey. One in which I had no idea how the world I knew and loved would respond. This façade I had so meticulously crafted was becoming too heavy for me to bear. I felt as if I was living a lie: hiding my true self behind a carefully created appearance. I lived in constant fear of how I was going to continue to hide an ever growing and serious part of myself from the closest people in my life. I felt I was endlessly exhausting myself in trying to hide who I really was. 

Why? I still struggle with this question. Maybe because  I feared more than anything being viewed as "weak or sick." I never wanted to be the recipient of pity or have a different unintentional set of standards placed upon me. I wanted more than anything to be overwhelmingly ordinary and normal: to blend into the sea of normality.  I feared if people really knew who and what my life consisted of I'd be seen for CF and not who I was first and foremost. Does CF solely define who I am? No, but it has shaped a large part of my life and its presence has made me who I am. It was time to let people into my life: my honest life.

What have I realized? We each have something we are trying to conceal from the world and people we love: something we fear will define us in the eyes of those around us. But you know what? We don't have to hide. We don't have to make excuses for who we are and the life we have been gifted: it's our own beautiful journey. There is no "ordinary" life. There's only the one unique life we are each living. My life just happens to have CF along for the adventure. We are all in this journey together: each unique and beautiful individuals.

This is me, all of me: grateful for every relationship, opportunity, and beautiful breath I have been given, CF included. Immense love to you all. 

Be YOU.

The next 10 days will be devoted to sharing the beauty in every breath and my 
honest life with CF. 
Also, each day there will be a way in which you can be a part of the fight against CF. 


No comments:

Post a Comment